If convicted, your licence will automatically be suspended for six months, you could face fines up to $25,000, and if you are able to get insured again your premiums could be thousands more per year.
Some of the reasons why you could be suspended are:
- Unpaid fines
- Medical reasons
- Alcohol related offences
- Demerit points
At the time of a first conviction for driving while suspended, the penalties are:
- A fine not less than $1,000 and not more than $5,000
- A mandatory six month suspension of your driver’s licence
- A possible term of imprisonment of not more than 6 months
Did you Know: If your licence is suspended from certain convictions under the Criminal Code of Canada, the fine is no less than $5,000 and not more than $25,000.
For a second conviction, the penalties are:
- A fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $5,000
- A mandatory six month suspension of your driver's licence
- A possible term of imprisonment of no more than six months
Did You Know: For subsequent offences related to the Criminal Code of Canada the fine is no less than $10,000 and not more than $50,000.
Driving while suspended could now cost you more than your licence.
As of December 1st, 2010, police have more tools to get suspended and impaired drivers off the road. This change also means added enforcement against people who have had their driver's licence suspended for consistently not paying family support.
The seven-day vehicle impoundment applies to drivers whose licences are suspended for:
- Driving while under certain Highway Traffic Act licence suspensions including non-payment of family support
- Driving with a blood alcohol concentration beyond the legal limit or for failing/refusing to provide a breath sample
- Driving without an ignition interlock device when one is required.
Being convicted of driving while suspended could affect your insurance for up to three years. Even one conviction for driving under suspension could result in increased insurance rates of thousands of dollars per year, if you are able to find a company to insure you at all!
At X-Copper, we will always strive to eliminate your charges entirely. Should we be unsuccessful in eliminating the charges, we will work to reduce the charge and minimize the impact. We will take steps to negotiate with the prosecution to protect against demerit points, and negotiate the lowest possible fine. In extreme cases, we will work to keep you out of jail.